Raw Milk Facts
Is Raw Milk Dangerous?
Extracts from an article by Chris Kresser, M.S., L.Ac is a globally recognized leader in the fields of ancestral health, Paleo nutrition, and functional and integrative medicine.
ﳰitalizations from raw milk are extremely rare. During the 2000 - 2007 period, there were 12 hospitalizations for illnesses associated with raw fluid milk. That average of 1.5 per year. With approximately 9.4 million people drinking raw milk, that means you have about a 1 in 6 million chance of being hospitalized from drinking raw milk.
To put this in perspective, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation, you have a roughly 1 in 8,000 chance of dying in a motor vehicle accident if you live in the U.S. Therefore, you have a 750 times greater chance of dying in a car crash than becoming hospitalized from drinking raw milk.
The risk of dying in a plane crash (1 in 2,000,000) is orders of magnitude lower than dying in a car accident (1 in 8,000) ᮤ yet most people who are afraid of flying donਥsitate to get in their car. But as unlikely as dying in a plane crash is, itࡢout 3 times more likely than becoming hospitalized (not dying) from drinking unpasteurized milk.ﰾ
What about other more commonly eaten foods?
- Seafood caused 29 times more illnesses than dairy
- Poultry caused 15 times more illnesses than dairy
- Eggs caused 13 times more illnesses than dairy
- Beef caused 11 times more illnesses than dairy
- Pork caused 8 times more illnesses than dairy
- When it comes to foodborne illness, dairy should be the least of your concerns!